Saturday, October 12, 2013

Why I Will Never Wear a Bikini Again...

In high-school I bought my first bikini. I remember begging and begging my mother to let me get one, and my mom FINALLY let me purchase my first bikini in the summer after my Junior year. Our agreement was that I would only wear it at my best friend Jynni's pool, but I didn't always follow that rule. By my Freshman year of college, I had built up my collection of bikinis, and wore them proudly at the beach with my friends. I'm young, thin, and pretty so of course I should be showing off my body, right?
Wrong. 
It wasn't until this past summer that I learned a couple things about bikinis that I would like to share. First, lets start with their origin. On July 5, 1946, the bikini was invented by Louis Réard, a French engineer who worked in his mother's lingerie shop. It was constructed out of a mere 30-inches of fabric, and was only considered a true bikini if it could be pulled through a wedding ring, and fit entirely into a matchbox. Four days prior to Réard's invention, the United States military had conducted nuclear tests at Bikini Atoll. Réard knew that the public's reaction would be as explosive as these tests, and therefore called his creation the "bikini." The public was horrified by this new swimsuit, and Parisian models refused to even wear such a thing. For this reason, Louis Réard hired a stripper to showcase his new design because no one else dared to wear it. Countries like Belguim, Italy, Spain, and Australia banned bikinis, and they were even declared sinful by the Vatican. Even Modern Girl magazine in 1957 wrote, "It is hardly necessary to waste words over the so-called bikini since it is inconceivable that any girl with tact and decency would ever wear such a thing." There were even guards on US beaches that would measure bathing suits, and those women who dared to show up in a bikini were likely to be kicked off of the beach.

Wow, a lot has changed since back then. If you go to the beach today, almost every female will be wearing a bikini. So what changed? How did we become so accepting of these bikinis that were described by one writer as "a two piece bathing suit that reveals everything about a girl, except for her mother's maiden name"?

In the 1960's things began to change. This time period is known for the sexual revolution, and women's movement. Along with these two changes, came the rising popularity of the bikini. Soon, nobody was afraid to wear one. Last year alone, annual spending on bikinis totaled over 8 billion dollars. EIGHT BILLION DOLLARS! This popularity gets attributed to the power of women, rather than the power of fashion. But what is this power we talk about? Women tend to see the act of wearing a bikini, as a way to say that we are powerful, independent, and strong. Many women see the bikini as an opportunity to be considered an equal, and to be seen as "in control." Whether these thoughts are conscious or subconscious, women all feel a sense of power when wearing a bikni. However, the power they're experiencing may not be the power they were looking for.


In 2009, male college students at Princeton University participated in a study of how the male brain reacts to seeing people in varying amounts of clothing. (Link here) When shown images of scantily clad women, the region of the brain associated with tools and the intention to form action lit up in the subject's brains. This is the same region of the brain that lit up when these same males were shown pictures of screwdrivers and hammers. Some of these men showed ZERO brain activity in the medial prefrontal cortex, which is the part of the brain that lights up when one is pondering another person's thoughts, feelings and intentions. Researchers were shocked by this, because they almost never see this part of the brain shut down in this way. It's as if they were reacting to these women, as they weren't even people, but objects. In a separate Princeton study, undergrads found that men tend to associate bikini-clad women with first person action verbs such as "I push," "I handle," and "I grab." However when shown images of fully clothed women, men tend to associate them with third-person action verbs such as "she pushes," and "she grabs." These clothed women were perceived to be in control of their own actions, whereas the women in bikinis were seen as objects to be used, not someone to connect with. 

So from what we see here, wearing a bikini DOES give a woman power. It gives her the power to shut down a man's ability to see her as a person. It gives her the power to be seen as an object, and it gives her the power to cause a man to stumble. It does NOT give a woman the power to be seen as an equal, and it does NOT give a woman the power to be seen as "in control" and as someone to be taken seriously. This power is more attainable when dressing modestly, yet we cringe at that very word.

This word just sounds so lame. Even the synonyms of "modesty" are "simpleness" and "plainness." Honestly, a lifestyle of modesty sounds like I need to start wearing frumpy clothing and asking my grandmother for fashion advice. After doing some research on modest clothing, I was surprised to realize that I can dress modestly without sacrificing fashion, EVEN when I'm buying swimsuits. I'm going to post a couple links to websites I love that offer modest clothing (even one with swimsuits!) but the truth of the matter is that you don't have to shop at special stores or websites in order to get modest clothing. Once you consciously make the decision to dress modestly, you can easily dress in a way that will earn you respect. This week I want to challenge you to take an honest look at your clothing choices and ask yourself some questions. What message are you sending with your clothing? What kind of power are you actually gaining? I don't want anyone to think that I'm going to judge them for dressing immodestly or for wearing a bikini, because quite frankly I'm not going to judge you at all. I just know that personally, I have decided to make an effort to live a modest lifestyle, and I hope to inspire some girls to do the same.
http://www.reyswimwear.com/
http://www.shabbyapple.com/
So what are your thoughts on modesty? I would love to read your comments!!




5 comments:

  1. Paige- As a guy, you have no idea how much your choice and post means. Seeing girls showing off their body makes every day a struggle for us, and really, we'd rather see people as people rather than objects. Thank you for your huge heart for God, and your sincere desire to live for Him, and your loving and caring attitude towards others.
    From,
    a friend at B.U.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written. You would be a great visiting speaker at teens in the springtime with this subject. Thank you for posting this

    ReplyDelete
  3. Initially I was caught up with the irritating feelings I had when I read the "historical context" of the bikini, how the players were presented "only a stripper would wear it." (how absolutely judging and exclusive!) or the shock at the 8 billions spent on bikinis alone quote. The Christian market can easily make that seem as chump change, but this is not the time to discuss that. The case studies brought into this essay to legitimatize the basis bothered me as well. The human mind is one of the most complex pieces of matter in this entire vast universe and anyone in the field knows that it has not been sliced and diced into rigid compartments that do this or that. Nothing could be farther from the truth. It changes, is molded by experiences by genetics by a thousand things to complete its reasoning, which is different day in and day out. The concise and ever so fitting findings of that study to demonize men is unfair and inaccurate. There are some things that need to be pointed out if humans are indeed going to move forward from judgments of physical characteristics when we conclude on a person, a similar goal we both share I'm sure.
    I am a being made of love. So are you. We were made from eternal love, our souls placed into our bodies and places here on earth. We are deserving of love, giving of love and always able to receive love. My conclusions of others have nothing to do with what they wear and what they don't. Additionally I do not figure my worth from what I wear and what I don’t. Despite your best intentions, that is exactly what this article highlights. Its absolutely irrelevant what someone puts on their body to determine what is in it. Most of that is a matter of taste, of time, of season, of fashion of history. The fabric of morals is much more resistant then the fabric of anyones clothes. I expect my friends and family to understand me from what I do, let it always be that way.
    Some people in the church agree with this view of the world , that is until men come into the picture. We cannot make them stumble. We cannot make them struggle. Right? Yes, but not in the way that Christian propaganda aimed at women makes it feel. It has nothing, nothing to do with what I wear. I cannot imagine simplifying the mind of the man I love to that primitive and irrational notion that I hold the power to shape his ability to treat a human as a human.
    I told you I was a being of love, that i was created from it and that i was deserving of it. I am also another thing. I am IN love. I have set my heart on a man who has set his on mine and we have begun to sail the worlds together. He is warm, he is strong, he is thoughtful, he is considerate and he is kind. I will not sum him up as a man i need to protect. I will not subject him to that level of disrespect and low expectation. He is a mind and a body and a spirit. I will not prop up his ability to view a human through their heart and not through their body. He is a man with a powerful heart. If he can not do that, he is not the man I love. I’m not worried about whether or not I can wear a bikini around him without testing his limits. Our respect for one another is so much past such a trivial issue. I cannot tolerate this polarizing any longer, that he is a man, that he is "wired differently. How would it be if he would insult me with that sort of black and white accusation and I will never push that to him. I don’t understand why the modern Christian mindset continues to not resolve this issue or others, a revolving door of whether or not we can drink. Can we party? Can we dance? Or…can we wear bikinis? What small issues in such a vast and needing world.
    I fully understand the role of an anchor of morals taken from religion. That it unties and clarifies how we handle situations. But we are not the clothes we wear and we are not the clothes we don't. Bikinis are not a theological argument. They are a piece of clothes. They should be left as such.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paige~ I commend you for being willing to broach a subject that can be easily misunderstood. You have done a beautiful job of expressing how you have arrived at where you are now with regards to this topic. Women and men ARE wired differently. I didn't fully realize this until after I had been married for quite some time and probably still don't understand it completely. God in His goodness created us different. God expects His men to look at women as a person not as an object; and if she is a believer, as a sister in the Lord, regardless of what she is wearing. God expects His women to dress in a manner that will not be a temptation to their brothers in the Lord or to men in general. The responsibility is equal. I admire you for being willing to talk to your girlfriends about this issue. What the world tells us to put on our bodies is often very different from what God tells us to clothe ourselves with. I can tell from what you have written here that you are not a judgmental gal and that your heart is in the right place. Thank you for opening this discussion. It is one that needs to be had!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paige, What a wonderful, well written and heartfelt article. I agree that when a woman no matter what her age dresses provocatively it can and will detract from who they are and the message they want to convey to others. Dressing Modestly shows not only respect for ones self but respect and Honor for God. You are a wonderful, kind, heart full , young Christian Woman. You are a wonderful role model for all young woman out there. Proud of you

    ReplyDelete