Thursday, October 11, 2012

Giving Up Control.

Today my Astronomy class had a guest speaker by the name of John Roy Bohlen. He was an older gentleman around my grandpa's age, and when I walked into the classroom I was expecting a boring lecture from him. What I heard though, was quite the opposite. John Bohlen started off by telling us he was going to teach us about "The King's Greatest Secret." He asked us, "What did Jesus take to the cross for us?" We responded with the typical answers such as our sins, sicknesses, despairs, transgressions, etc. But he told us there was one more thing Jesus took with him....Jesus took ourselves. John told us that Jesus took our weak, pathetic, flawed selves and crucified all of us on the cross with him. And now since we are crucified with Him, He wants to live his life through us. I'm not sure if I explained that clearly, so just hear me out. Jesus lived the perfect life, so He didn't deserve to be crucified. Therefore, since He gave up his life for us, now it's our duty to allow Him to live through our own lives. Life isn't about trying to be the nicest, trying to do the right things or even about us trying to be like Christ. It's about giving ourselves completely to Christ and letting HIM live through US. Are you getting this? It's such a simple concept that's so life-changing.
My life isn't about me trying to live the way God wants me to. My life isn't about me trying to figure out God's plan. My life isn't about being a great Christian. But my life IS about stepping back and letting Jesus live through me. Once that happens, then all those other aspects will fall into place. What does it actually mean when we say Jesus "lives in us?" Have you ever really thought about that phrase? It doesn't mean that Jesus lives inside our hearts like a genie would live in a bottle....but rather, it means that Jesus lives through us. He desires for us to allow him to live through our lives. He purchased them with his own blood, so the least we can do is give him the reigning power.

No comments:

Post a Comment