Sunday, September 16, 2012

Your Heart's Desires.

When I was a little girl, I was full of big dreams and desires. Like a dried up flower some of those dreams have died, and others have been pruned or cut back so new ones could blossom in their place.
 Psalm 37:4 reads, 
"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart."

In our selfish nature I think we often want to approach God like a genie in a bottle - one who is able to grant us every thing we could ever want. It's true that God loves to give good gifts to His children, but our delight and our joy should never be rooted in what God offers us, but in who He is. Many of us like to take this verse and other "warm-fuzzy" ones to promote a false prosperity gospel message. We think to ourselves, "just love God and you will have the most amazing life....you will never have hardship again!" But Jesus said that following him would not be easy... Life would still be hard, but all that hardship is well worth it.
To delight ourselves in the Lord is to be so filled and at peace in His presence that naturally we want to live a life for Him. To rejoice in His goodness. It's not for us to worship the things He gives us, but to adore God for who He is. While so undeserving, God has fulfilled so many of the desires of my heart. And being the extravagant giver He is, He has gone above and beyond. I believe something amazing happens when our delight is in the Lord and not the things of this world....I'm still a work in progress, but I'm trying to pursue God with all of my heart, and I encourage you to do the same!


No comments:

Post a Comment